Tuesday 2 February 2010

Jealous girlfriends

I am guilty of being one of them. Yes, I hang my head in shame and please feel free to comment on how shallow, insecure and pointless being jealous is, but I am, which is why I almost relate to the girl I happened to piss off the other day…

At one of those trying-to-be-cool-and-actually-succeeded events last week I’d queued at the free, yes, FREE bar for an episode worth of SATC, and eventually handed back the eight drinks I’d got for my friends.

My crap/amazing friends didn’t help with my struggle only one of the guys they were chatting too did. Point to you Mr scruffy-looking cutie. My friends had to shun the scene with Mr’s girlfriend to chat up some celeb they all fancied which left us alone with now just four watered down vodkas.

Anyway, we made polite conversation about the music, what we did and I was grateful that he put the effort in as he could have ignored me. Then, out of the corner of my eye I saw his arty and oh so cool girlfriend shoot me a ‘look’. I know she didn’t mean anything by it and I’ve shot that look countless times when I’ve seen a girl chatting to my man, I’ve just never been on the receiving end before.

It stung, I wanted to go up to her and tell her I knew how she felt, that I was faithful to the sisterhood etc but instead she marched up to him, snogged his face off and I walked away.

Uncomfortable? Yes it was. But would I have acted any differently? Probably not.

Later on that eve Mr caught my eye at a distance and winked – I felt that was a,’ it was nice to chat and nice to meet you’ but we both knew the unspoken law when a man has a girlfriend in toe. Best not to speak to a single girl you’ve just met.

No comments:

Post a Comment